Wednesday 17 August 2011

Boldy Going

I've been meaning to learn about blogs, and set up my own, for ages. I'm finally doing one as its the first part of a free online course for information  professionals/librarians, called '23 things for professional development'.

I'm very grateful that the course is free and can be done online as otherwise I wouldnt be able to do it.  I've worked as a health info prof for ages, but I was made redundant due to funding cuts at the organisation I worked for. I am jobhunting, but meanwhile am doing voluntary work. It gives me some of the benefits of work. I do use some of my skills, but not usually at the professional level.

Libraries/ information services have been having a tough time. The first voluntary post I did after being made redundant was in an information service that was closed for funding reasons too.

Things change fast, particularly with IT, so its important I keep up.

So this course is great and I am Poised to learn more!