Wednesday 13 June 2012

Task 1

'Set up your own blog and write what you hope to get out of the programme.'

I set up a blog as part of the course last year. It was a really interesting thing to do. I had used blogs as a potential source of relevant content, but not created my own. The task gave me a reason to create one, and the instructions about  how to do so.

What I hope to get out of the programme.

I am a health info prof but was made redundant. I am unemployed and continue to jobhunt, but of course the LIS sector has been hit hard in the recession. I volunteered at a charity for a while, but then their information service was closed. I am a volunteer in an admin role in a community centre. Some of my skills are still useful, but its not a professional setting.

Its really important to be up-to-date, and that can be a challenge, particularly with the rapid rate of development in areas like IT.  Its good to challenge myself and and keep up my knowledge.

I am very grateful that this course is free and online. I wouldnt have been able to do it otherwise.